英語ーレベル・アップ!

英語ーレベル・アップ!

Saturday, October 10, 2015

turn VS become - 何歳になります

Turn VS Become

Please look at the following example sentence:

"When I became 6 I started riding my bicycle to school."


The meaning is clear, but it's not natural English. In natural English conversation we use the verb turn when we talk about getting older. For example:

"I will turn 30 in May."
"私は5月に30歳になります。"

*Also ~ In a conversation I never say the words 'years old' when I say someone's age.
"I will turn 30 in May." NOT "I will turn 30 years old in May."
"My nephew is 9." I don't need to say 9 years old. (But if you do of course it is okay!)
"私の甥は、9才です."

A natural way to say our example sentence is:
"When I turned 6 I started riding my bicycle to school."


retro adjective using styles or fashions from the recent past 
retro clothes 
レトロ調の服

vintage adjective typical of a period in the past and of high quality
I like vintage stuff. 
私は年代ものが好きだ
vintage wines 
優良ぶどう酒.

antique adjective (of furniture, jewellery, etc.) old and often valuable
collect antiques 骨董品を収集する.
_____________
マンツーマン英会話レッスン
吉祥寺、渋谷、新宿
無料トライアル
レッスン!
ご連絡お待ちしております


No comments:

Post a Comment