英語ーレベル・アップ!

英語ーレベル・アップ!

Friday, February 26, 2016

hope VS wish (期待する) WITH AUDIO! (リスニング練習!)


hope VS wish (verb)


WISH and HOPE can mean 期待する
In English there is a small nuance.
英語ではちょっとニュアンスが違う。

hope verb - to want something to happen and think that it is possible

hope (for something) We're hoping for good weather on Sunday.
All we can do now is wait and hope.
‘Will you be back before dark?’ ‘I hope so, yes.’
The exam went better than I hoped.

‘Do you think it will rain?’ ‘I hope not.’
...but I brought my folding umbrella just in case!

wish verb - to want something to happen or to be true even though it is unlikely or impossible

wish (that)… I wish I was taller.
wish I hadn't eaten so much.
‘Where is Alex now?’ ‘I only wish I knew!’

wish you wouldn't leave your clothes all over the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment