英語ーレベル・アップ!

英語ーレベル・アップ!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I walked VS. I took a walk... (動詞VS名詞)

One of my students asked me:

"What's the difference between 'I took a walk in the park' and 'I walked in the park?'"

(公園で散歩しました VS 公園に歩きました)

These sentences mean the same thing but I can see the confusion. Some words have a noun and a verb form.

How we can we tell which form the word is in?

If we use 1 of the articles A, or An then the word that follows will be a countable noun (remember A/An = 1 thing) "A banana." "An orange." Or a noun phrase "An old, brown banana." "A tasty, Naval orange."

So when walk is a noun it will come after an article
"I took a walk in the park." - took is the verb in this sentence


BUT a verb comes after the subject of a sentence
"I walked in the park this morning." - No article = verb


This is true for all words that have a verb and a noun form.

“I want to give you a hug!” - give is the verb in this sentence


“I want to hug you!” - No article = verb


English practice exercise!

Think of 3 more words with a noun and a verb form and write a practice sentence for each word!

"Let Tony take the free kick. He kicks very well."




No comments:

Post a Comment