英語ーレベル・アップ!

英語ーレベル・アップ!

Monday, August 31, 2015

Although/Though/Even though (のに) in English conversation

Although/Though/Even though

We use these words in English to connect contrast two ideas.

contrast - verb - to compare two things so you can show the differences between them

We contrast ideas by connecting two ideas that are different. (違う)

Although/Though we waited in line for 30 minutes, it was worth it. The roller coaster was awesome!”

We are contrasting waiting (not fun) with the ride being awesome (worth the wait because it was so fun)
*In spoken English though is much more common. Though can also be used at the end of a sentence.

“Bill and I are members of the same gym. I never see him though.”

We are contrasting the idea that I have a membership at the same gym as Bill with the fact that I don't see him there. It's unusual.
We use even though to for emphasis.

emphasis (強調) - noun - special importance that is given to something.

“I went to the park, even though it was late.”

I'm giving special importance to the fact that it was late, an unusual time to go to the park. (Daytime is more natural)

Try to use these words in your own story in English. Contrast 2 ideas from your own experience!


More examples from

Even though I want to tell...
伝えたいのに。

Even though it is the weekend...
週末にもかかわらず

I went even though she didn't. 
彼女は行かなかったが私は行った.

_____________
マンツーマン英会話レッスン
吉祥寺、渋谷、新宿


No comments:

Post a Comment