英語ーレベル・アップ!

英語ーレベル・アップ!

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Room VS house (部屋 VS 家)

Room VS house (部屋 VS 家)

Here is a conversation I sometimes have with my students:

D: "Hi, how was your weekend?"
S: "It was okay, I just stayed home and cleaned my room."

In English when someone says "my room" they are talking about their bedroom. (寝室) So when my students say "I cleaned my room" I think they cleaned their bedroom. What they really mean, and what is natural to say is:
"I cleaned my house/apartment."

なぜ間違う?

When you are looking for a new apartment in Tokyo where do you go? A real estate office - 不動産
I often see signs that say ~ 部屋を探す!In English 部屋 means room so I think this where the mistake comes from....





D: "Hi, how was your weekend?"
S: "It was okay, I just stayed home and cleaned my apartment."

_____________
マンツーマン英会話レッスン
吉祥寺、渋谷、新宿
無料トライアル
レッスン!
ご連絡お待ちしております


No comments:

Post a Comment